Welcome guest! Please Login or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Ask your video editing questions here!
shannontuttle Offline

Tool:
RE: Ask your video editing questions here!
New question, hope this is placed where it is supposed to be, this is my first time using a forum Smile

I have some home movies on DVD. They are 4 hours each and as they were recorded at different times, they are a collection of 20-30 min clips. I am looking for software that will allow me to input a list of start and stop times and then will extract all the clips in 1 sitting so I don't have to pull them 1 at a time. Is there any free or paid windows software that will do this?
04-19-2013 04:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheDanielsaur Offline
Almost Extinct
Moderators

Tool:
@Shannon:

I have not yet been able to find a good free program that rips DVDs effectively and satisfactorily. I seem to remember using the trial version of one called Any DVD Converter to pull some Samurai Jack footage a few years ago, and I think that one worked decently, but I can't remember what limitations the trial version had. I think it would only let you pull clips up to a minute long, or something, so that's not really going to help you.

If you want a program that does a good job, you'll probably need a paid version. The one I use currently is call ImTOO DVD Ripper Ultimate. It does a great job for single clips, but I have never tried ripping a bunch of different clips at once. I do know you can rip multiple "scenes" or "chapters" at once from the DVD, and choose which ones to pull, but I'm not sure how your home videos are divided up, whether in chapters or just one big long chunk.

Actually... playing around with it just now... it looks like you totally can select multiple clips from wherever you want in a single chapter and then rip them all at once. It's pretty easy to do! So that would be a good program to do that.... but you gotta pay for it.
04-22-2013 01:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MrDeLoop Offline

Tool: Sony Vegas
Handbrake is a really amazing DVD ripper, used it and had no problems at all. Plus it's completely free. Dunno about the time selection, but you can definitely select chapters. Best free option imo.
04-22-2013 01:18 PM
TheDanielsaur Offline
Almost Extinct
Moderators

Tool:
(04-07-2013 07:35 PM)TerriccotaPie Wrote:  Does anyone know how to make VHS effect in vegas?

What do you mean by a VHS effect? Like the annoying lines and fuzziness? I think the best effect for you to use is the "TV Sim" effect. I think it comes built in with Vegas. Play around with that one and you should get some great VHS effect!
04-22-2013 01:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TerriccotaPie Offline
Brony
Fluttershy

Yeah, TV effect it good, but its not good enough.
it should look more like this
http://www.uploadimages4free.com/upload/...-29375.jpg
04-22-2013 01:29 PM
MrDeLoop Offline

(04-22-2013 01:29 PM)TerriccotaPie Wrote:  Yeah, TV effect it good, but its not good enough.
it should look more like this
http://www.uploadimages4free.com/upload/...-29375.jpg

I'm not entirely sure if you can replicate something like that in Vegas as far as I know. You could try duplicating the layer, making one black/white and one colour, feathering a mask at the center for the decolouration... maybe add some slight Gaussian blurs and using the warped footage aspect of the TV simulator (try to take down the scanlines/unnecessary features).. but other than that I'm not sure. Maybe there's a tutorial? Other than that, After Effects might give you a more realistic VHS simulator - that program seems to be better with visuals.
04-22-2013 01:33 PM
TerriccotaPie Offline
Brony
Fluttershy

I didn't find any tutorial for that. i guess ill keep experimenting in vegas 10 for now. I have AE, but i didn't learn to use it.
04-22-2013 01:44 PM
Jaref Offline
Crusader
Applejack

All right, here's something I'm trying to wrap my head around (Using Sony Vegas)

Say I want to have a clip like this:

[Image: clipboard02lp.jpg]

But I want to move it and have like three clips, one at the top, one in the middle and one at the bottom, like this:

[Image: lolololvh.png]

Or like this even:

[Image: 4tg44g.jpg]

Is there any simple way to do this? I've been experimenting a little but I can't help but feel like there should be an easier way to do it. Fiddling around with the pan/cropping, I can't get it out of the center. Making a new resized clip out of it lets me move it, but then I can't zoom in or out without messing up the aspect ratio. I want to just pan/crop it and move it! ><

Halp! Sad R
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013 04:00 AM by Jaref.)
04-29-2013 03:24 AM
TerriccotaPie Offline
Brony
Fluttershy

I do things like that with cookie cutter.
04-29-2013 06:24 AM
Jaref Offline
Crusader
Applejack

Ah you're a genius sir! I didn't even think of that, works really nicely. Thanks! Big Grin
04-29-2013 06:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Video What Video Editing Software Do YouTuber’s Use? jacobyahood 0 21 04-07-2017 04:46 PM
Last Post: jacobyahood
  Online essay editing services ungihkoco 0 51 06-04-2016 07:30 PM
Last Post: ungihkoco
  Best online essay editing service aqketgimu 0 42 05-28-2016 04:49 PM
Last Post: aqketgimu
  Thesis editing service aqketgimu 0 44 05-19-2016 02:03 AM
  Best college essay editing service aqketgimu 0 55 05-16-2016 07:08 PM
  Essays Editing apagkumti 0 43 05-15-2016 01:20 PM
Last Post: apagkumti
  Dissertation editing services ungihkoco 0 52 05-10-2016 05:45 AM