Welcome guest! Please Login or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Ask your video editing questions here!
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

Tool: After Effects
RE: Ask your video editing questions here!
A two questions for all you after effects pros out there.

Background info of the issue: Alright so first off let me just establish that if no one can answer this no big deal. I have a work around but the reason I'm asking is that I would like to know the proper way to do it and why these issues are happening. On that note, lets get into what exactly I'm trying to do...

So the basic effect I'm going for is to have that weather vane (thingy that shows wind direction) on top of AJs barn spin around so it looks like there's wind. It was pretty easy... 3d rotation. I made two layers of the barn, one without the weather vane and one just the weathervane.

Now the first issue, I have several layers that I considered my background, like the barn, sky, and clouds. Now when I switch on the 3d option for the layer with the weather vane all of my background layers disappear. The fix was easy, precompose them and turn the pre-comp to 3d. But my question is why do they disappear, is there a way to make these 2d layers be visible and not interact with the 3d objects?

On to the second issue... so I'm using the y-axis rotation to move the weather vane around. Due to the fact that the precomp with the background layers 3d I have to pull the weather vane out on the Z axis in order to avoid clipping by the background. It looked fine so I decided to Pre-compose that to minimize the layers on my main. Once pre composed, out in the main, the weather vane's position is distorted, its slightly higher. In the pre-comp its in the correct spot, I'm assuming it has to do with it being out on the Z axis or something. I can easily not precompose it or just adjust its position in the pre-comp so it looks right. But how do I get the view from outside the comp to look the same as inside the comp. Does it have to do with the main being 2d or something.

Once again, no biggy if these can't be answered but I'd really like to know the reasoning why this is happening! If I'm not clear enough feel free to ask and I'll do my best to clarify. Thanks!
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 04:11 PM by Dynamic Seagull.)
05-05-2013 04:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheeLinker Offline

I don't know if this will solve all your problems -- but can you try making a pre-comp of JUST the weather vane spinning? Then you can layer that weather vane comp over your background layers in your main comp and it won't clip, since it's technically 2D. I mean, everything can be 2D that way, even.
05-06-2013 12:18 AM
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

(05-06-2013 12:18 AM)TheeLinker Wrote:  I don't know if this will solve all your problems -- but can you try making a pre-comp of JUST the weather vane spinning? Then you can layer that weather vane comp over your background layers in your main comp and it won't clip, since it's technically 2D. I mean, everything can be 2D that way, even.
I like that idea. I guess isolating the 3d object would be the way to go.
05-06-2013 05:48 AM
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

Hey if I have a bunch of shapes and I want a a flash to be coming out of there edges, like theres a light behind them. Do I have to put a light thing behind every single shape or its there a effect that'll give a equal spread of shine on all shapes outer edges. AE Btw. Thanks.
05-18-2013 10:40 PM
TheeLinker Offline

I've had trouble with this as well. CC Light Rays only works within a very narrow radius...

Yeah, I'm not sure. Can't think of any ways that don't involve lots of individual masks or seperate effects for each shape. There must be a way, though. Sad R
05-19-2013 01:43 PM
Izeer Offline
Rainbow Dash

I got a question for AE users. Today I ecnountered an error from Videocopilot Optical flares. Yesterday everything was okay, but today while doing ram preview it popped an window with error "optical flares encountered uncoverable error" something like that, any ideas what's the problem?
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 07:21 AM by Izeer.)
08-12-2013 07:06 AM
The Talkie Toaster Offline
That not-so special somepony
Moderators

(08-12-2013 07:06 AM)Izeer Wrote:  I got a question for AE users. Today I ecnountered an error from Videocopilot Optical flares. Yesterday everything was okay, but today while doing ram preview it popped an window with error "optical flares encountered uncoverable error" something like that, any ideas what's the problem?

Have you tried turning it off an on again?
08-12-2013 07:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Izeer Offline
Rainbow Dash

(08-12-2013 07:38 AM)The Talkie Toaster Wrote:  Have you tried turning it off an on again?

Well, yeah, few times, it's all I could actually do.
08-12-2013 08:50 AM
Poki_ Offline
Enslaved in School
Twilight Sparkle

I don't have Optical Flares but I took a gander at this link: http://www.videocopilot.net/forum/viewto...36&t=52599
One guy said taking the comp with the flare and precomping it worked. Some others talk about internal settings and a dump file, which I have absolutely no idea on. Hopefully it helps, though.
08-12-2013 09:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EDWizard Offline
Applejack fanboy
Applejack

(08-12-2013 08:50 AM)Izeer Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 07:38 AM)The Talkie Toaster Wrote:  Have you tried turning it off an on again?

Well, yeah, few times, it's all I could actually do.

Are you quite sure that its plugged in?
08-12-2013 01:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Video What Video Editing Software Do YouTuber’s Use? jacobyahood 0 86 04-07-2017 04:46 PM
Last Post: jacobyahood
  Essay questions list igexgupno 0 54 09-23-2016 11:25 PM
Last Post: igexgupno
  To see how video gaming works on the device Quite well with just ezatonqov 0 50 09-22-2016 03:49 PM
Last Post: ezatonqov
  After posting a video of the sweet igexgupno 0 58 09-22-2016 01:56 AM
Last Post: igexgupno
  Posted A Lumigan Video Of Him And Hildeberto Pereira On ezatonqov 0 42 09-21-2016 04:46 PM
Last Post: ezatonqov
  Of 17 months and questions are being raised if aqketgimu 0 43 06-15-2016 05:07 PM
Last Post: aqketgimu
  Online essay editing services ungihkoco 0 89 06-04-2016 07:30 PM
Last Post: ungihkoco
  Best online essay editing service aqketgimu 0 81 05-28-2016 04:49 PM
  Thesis editing service aqketgimu 0 90 05-19-2016 02:03 AM
  Custom thesis proposal on boston video apagkumti 0 32 05-17-2016 05:11 AM
Last Post: apagkumti