Fluttershy

Tool: Sony Vegas
What is best editing program?
Windows Movie Maker?
Vegas pro?
After effects?
Premier?
03-26-2013 07:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mad_hatters_in_jeans Offline
Remember
Pinkie Pie

RE: What is best editing program?
I've considered getting After Effects but the requirements are a little high for my aging pc.
I did use Windows Move maker to begin with and it's not bad for learning how to use the basics for pmvs but it's probably the most basic kind and very limited in terms of what you can do.
Sony vegas is the one i'm currently using, it's a huge step up from WMM and the sheer range of things you can do with clips is liberating. However it does crash quite a lot for me at least. Which is a little depressing.
03-26-2013 09:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

Tool: After Effects
Depends on the video... for cutting down large clips, quickly and effectively... I'd go with Vegas or Premier. Anything audio, vegas I guess. Vegas was originally a audio editing software... as for anything fx and crazy detail stuff AE all the way, but prepared to spend some major time on a small segment of footage. (Then again I'm a total AE scrub so it takes me extra time) I'm not a fan of movie maker... But over all I'm an AE guy because the while it takes a ton of time, the possibilities are limitless...
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2013 09:47 PM by Dynamic Seagull.)
03-26-2013 09:47 PM
EDWizard Offline
Applejack fanboy
Applejack

Tool: After Effects
First of all, I would automatically rule out WMM, especially the newest version, which is complete trash. Other than that, it really depends on your editing style. I personally use AE for everything, but it is hard to learn and tedious to edit in. You can do more complex scenes, but if you're looking for something to do some fast paced editing, it probably isn't worth the effort.

I've heard that Vegas and Premier do much the same thing, except that Vegas is easier to use. There is a trade off though, Premier is made to work with AE, so if you wanted to use both of those programs together it makes for a pretty flawless editing setup. Like DS up there, I'm all about having as many possibilities as possible.
03-27-2013 04:18 PM
The SpawnersTouch Offline
A Spawner

Tool:
Tongue RE: What is best editing program?
As Previously said, the "best" program depends on what purpose it is to be used for.
I have in fact used all the above programs in my video creations, so I can share what I have learned from them.

Summary:
Windows movie maker can not compete with the other softwares, since it will undoubtedly fall flat.

Vegas tries to be a combined software of After effects and Premiere, with a stronger focus on sound and music, and it succeeds decently. However trying to be a jack of all trades it inevitably falls flat in many categories compared to other software. Yet it is still a good jack of all trades.

After Effects in unmatched in effect editing which only that makes it an amazing software, yet it is focused so on effects that it falls flat in its other categories, for example raw editing and sound.

Premiere in basically unmatched within the field of raw editing, and handles sound quite well. Yet it falls very flat in the effects aspect, considering.

Slightly more indepth:

Windows movie maker was a reasonable starting software, but it's really just an almost painfully basic program. I do not think to many can consider it to be able to challenge any other software.

Vegas does edit audio very good, with functions none of the others above support, I have used vegas in several of my earlier spawns. Vegas is also a very quick program, i was able to nearly manufacture videos in an almost factory like manner while using it. But, i was unsatisfied by a lot of its results.
That might just be me however, and as I said earlier vegas have access to several good effects and functions which can be used in making great pmvs.

Both Premiere and After effects probably falls in the category of most advanced and most difficult to use.

After Effects. In that way it is unmatched. No other software i have used can create the quality or amount of effects. It is quite great.

Premiere pro is not a lot like Vegas. Premiere pro differs from both After effects and Vegas in that it is not an effects software, but a strictly editing software.
Yes it still has effects, which can at many times be greater than Vegas pro's, yet the effects are not as easily integrated into the actual video the same way it is in Vegas of After effects. and of course, almost no effects Premiere has can match that of After effects.

However, from my experience Premieres raw editing outclasses that of both After effects and Vegas. Also Premiere (from my experience) edits sound much better than After effects.

I can, however, not say which program is "Best".
(but it is probably not Windows movie maker.)
03-27-2013 09:29 PM
LordPony Offline
Lord of the Ponies
Administrators

Tool:
I'll throw out my opinions about the pros and cons of Sony Vegas vs. After Effects. For sheer speed and efficiency of selecting and cutting scenes, I'd go with Vegas all the way. It's also more user friendly in general. As others have said though, nothing can match AE in terms of variety and effectiveness of special effects. I've found that using them together is a powerful combination.
03-28-2013 10:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Camsy Offline
Mixed Media Creator

Tool:
I use only after effects and I admit it's a very long process to do the simple cutting and editing before you even get into the special effects, maybe it's time I learnt one of these other programs to do the initial creation process.

Check out all my content on Facebook.
03-29-2013 06:55 PM
A Spawner

Tool:
(03-29-2013 06:55 PM)Camsy Wrote:  I use only after effects and I admit it's a very long process to do the simple cutting and editing before you even get into the special effects, maybe it's time I learnt one of these other programs to do the initial creation process.

I full heartedly recommend Premiere Pro to fill that niche.
03-30-2013 04:28 PM
MrDeLoop Offline

Hard to say exactly what the "best" editing program is. Rather, it's a case of the editor themselves and what they do with the program. It's also a case of what you want to make.

See, there are linear editing packages and non-linear. Linear is defined as going straight forward - After Effects falls under this category. It's designed so that when you enter the program, you go through the project/video bit by bit - from start to finish. You can't (well, you can but it'd be significantly more difficult) place clips and audio pieces all over the place and move onto a later part of the video. You have to render out the footage before viewing it in a RAM Preview - which is why as Camsy stated it's a much longer process to do simple cutting/splicing/arranging. Non-linear packages are becoming far more common. They have a much more flexible workspace - for example Sony Vegas and Premiere. You can view a clip almost instantly, get to a specific part of the video and overall get the job done faster. They're great in this regard.

I moved onto After Effects for a whole video recently. It was a kinetic typography, and After Effects has been recommended as a good program to animate the text and create motion graphics within. It's really good with smooth motion/transitions and it's excellent with visual appeal. The amount of colour correction is fantastic - and the complexity of the controls has a lot to offer when you get round to it.
However, it was a challenge to get into. I've been working in Vegas for the past 5 or so years and even though I'm not a master at it, I'm fairly comfortable working in that environment. I know where everything is and often it's just a case of me getting the creativity to do what I want to do. I think it's great for basic PMV making, for synching to audio and just generally getting clips to match with music. AE is definitely better for custom animation and visuals. Vegas is sub-par when it comes to manually having to keyframe an object to get smooth and controlled animation. Vegas is great at getting really precise and to-the-point masks. After Effects is pretty good with masks, but doesn't have the amount of accuracy.

What I'm getting at (without dragging this block of text on too long) is that each has their own pros and cons. I'm sure people have talked in excruciating detail about the certain functions of editing and which program does it best.

Personally, I'd go with Vegas overall because I'm comfortable enough with it. However, AE comes close second because I'm really impressed with the results you can achieve. I've yet to try Premiere. And Windows Movie Maker isn't the best for PMV's, but it all depends on the editor. I've known some people who have really got into WMM and used it to it's full potential - and they've done some great stuff. But yeah, it falls behind due to how basic and bare it is compared to the others. It's gained a bad rep for itself after the thousands/millions of times someone created a blue title screen slideshow and uploaded it. Memories.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 05:30 PM by MrDeLoop.)
04-01-2013 12:33 AM
A Spawner

Tool:
If editing Softwares were weapons:

Premiere Pro Would be a Very sharp Blade (Katana). Cutting and editing precisely and accurate, but does not have much more to it than just that.

After Effects would be a two handed Power Maul. Arcing with lightning and other effects, which carries over to the footage. But within editing it is more blunt.

Vegas would be a one handed power Axe. Cutting and editing quite well while also being able to enhance the footage.

Windows Movie Maker would be a rock on a stick. It can edit, maybe even really good, but using it is limiting compared to other tools.

Pictures

Premiere Pro: http://tinyurl.com/cug9kww
After Effects: http://tinyurl.com/bn4yex2
Vegas: http://tinyurl.com/btt2kdf
Windows Movie Maker: http://picturepush.com/public/12604077
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2013 09:31 AM by The SpawnersTouch.)
04-04-2013 11:12 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Video What Video Editing Software Do YouTuber’s Use? jacobyahood 0 69 04-07-2017 04:46 PM
Last Post: jacobyahood
  Plavix discount program igexgupno 0 38 09-16-2016 11:01 PM
Last Post: igexgupno
  Online essay editing services ungihkoco 0 79 06-04-2016 07:30 PM
Last Post: ungihkoco
  The program at the Baryshnikov Arts Center aqketgimu 0 21 06-02-2016 08:35 AM
Last Post: aqketgimu
  Best online essay editing service aqketgimu 0 69 05-28-2016 04:49 PM
  Thesis editing service aqketgimu 0 71 05-19-2016 02:03 AM
  Best college essay editing service aqketgimu 0 83 05-16-2016 07:08 PM