Welcome guest! Please Login or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.6 Average
Eq Daily's View on PMV's
Camsy Offline
Mixed Media Creator

Tool:
Eq Daily's View on PMV's
So I've been an avid reader of Eq Daily for quite some time, reading almost every post that is send out by them. However I've run into something that's completely confused me, and that's EQD's response to PMV's. I can't find any rhyme or reason to the content they decide to post.

For example, I recently created 'Blackbird [PMV]', which got featured on here a couple of days ago. It's a semi-animated PMV with 0% inappropriate content, and what seems to be (in my, I'll admit, bias opinion) better than the average quality PMV.

Yet when I submitted it to EqD, it got completely ignored, while a bunch of regular PMV's got featured in a post.

Does anyone know EqD's process on how they review submitted pmv's? I'd love to know, especially for any future videos I make, so I can cater them to being suitable for placement in such websites.

(PS. I hope this doesn't sound like a rant, I am just honestly confused/curious)

Check out all my content on Facebook.
03-29-2013 08:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mad_hatters_in_jeans Offline
Remember
Pinkie Pie

Tool: Sony Vegas
RE: Eq Daily's View on PMV's
I know they do "simple pmv" posts about once a day, then they have spotlight posts of pmvs once every idk three or four days? With the occasional single post item once a month or something that's pmv related.

Honestly idk either. I get the impression that Seth doesn't have the heart to tell people that he doesn't like the pmv for whatever reason and just pretends the message "got lost".
Other than the occasional "To review" or "to the queue" responses there's little to no feedback from EqD on pmv submissions whether they're ones i've made or ones i'm sending in that i found.

In one case i submitted a PMV a year ago "Tin soldier" which was ignored, only to be posted a few weeks ago presumably posted by someone else.

TLDR: I haven't the faintest idea how their system works.
03-29-2013 08:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

Tool: After Effects
No worries, I was just as confused back when I made minecraft videos about ponys. Basically I was spending a lot of time on these videos and submitting them to EQD with no response. I was confused because how was I to know if my emails were getting through, thus I contacted Seth and asked him if my emails were getting through and why I wasn't getting some sort of rejection letter of some sort. And I'll just quote what he said:

"It's pretty strict! We don't actually send any refusal stuff for videos."

...and later I found out that they just don't accept Minecraft videos anymore, but I was switching over to PMVs anyway so I didn't care. Long story short I think Seth and the rest of the EQD team has a lot to process in a day so I don't think they may have time to send out a rejection to everyone. Basically if you don't hear back from EQD in a day or two, it got rejected. Unless someone else submits it... The usual acceptance email that comes back from EQD is "To the queue" which means your video is in line to be posted somewhere in a day or so. Where exactly, well thats up to them.

Keep in mind though that getting rejected doesn't mean your bad at video making. In the beginning my videos getting rejected made me even more determined to make better ones. Ones that EQD would be impressed with, its completely option based, but that the way it has to be. Regardless EQD is a great site. : >

Hope this cleared some stuff up.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2013 09:22 AM by Dynamic Seagull.)
03-29-2013 09:16 AM
Camsy Offline
Mixed Media Creator

Tool:
From the responses I guess it's not just me then. Would it be presumptuous and frowned upon to resend my PMV again in a week if it hasn't gotten a response, in case they just missed it?

03-29-2013 06:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EDWizard Offline
Applejack fanboy
Applejack

I've had a couple videos not make it on, and I've never gotten a rejection email so I don't think they send them. Actually, their whole process doesn't really make much logical sense, they rarely watch more than the first 30 seconds of a video before responding, even an acceptance response. Basically, whoever happens to be checking the inbox at that time makes a split decision on whether or not to post the video and moves on. Quite the far cry from their in depth assessment of all music posts.

So yeah, having a video not get on certainly doesn't mean that it isn't good, it just means that it wasn't particularly in the interest of whoever was watching it, and the very beginning may not have been quite as appealing as the parts that they didn't watch.
03-29-2013 07:07 PM
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

(03-29-2013 06:49 PM)Camsy Wrote:  From the responses I guess it's not just me then. Would it be presumptuous and frowned upon to resend my PMV again in a week if it hasn't gotten a response, in case they just missed it?
I really don't know, its up to you. I remember that I recent one of my early videos thinking that they just missed the email and still got no response. Ever since then though I haven't resent anything, because I realized I was dwelling on the issue longer than it was worth.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2013 09:09 PM by Dynamic Seagull.)
03-29-2013 09:05 PM
Camsy Offline
Mixed Media Creator

Tool:
Not making it onto EQD doesn't mean the video won't be successful. My most popular video has almost 40,000 view and it wasn't posted (probably because of it's mention of C&D of Fighting IM).

(03-29-2013 07:07 PM)EDWizard Wrote:  ...they rarely watch more than the first 30 seconds of a video

This could well be the issue, the first 25 seconds of my PMV was a credits intro (which worked for the song), but if that's all they watched it would seem pretty lame...

I think I'll try resubmitting one more time but this time adding a &t=0m30s to the youtube url so the video starts when the actual PMV begins.

03-30-2013 07:18 AM
The SpawnersTouch Offline
A Spawner

Tool:
The presumption that Equestria daily only watches the first part of a video, can both create some interesting guidelines and limits for PMV creating.

Not every good video will be amazing at only the first part, some needs to build up to achieve full effect. So that fact alone creates limits.
A reasonable choice for many creators would then maybe switch focus and lay down much more time and effort on the very first part of the video.
That is not directly bad per say, yet it can dramatically change the way PMV's are.

I guess we will have to see where this takes us.
03-30-2013 04:24 PM
LordPony Offline
Lord of the Ponies
Administrators

Tool:
I can speak from personal experience here on this site, that it can get pretty overwhelming when many submissions are received in a short amount of time. I think we've done a decent job with responding to each one, though it's sometimes hard to keep up in terms of posting since I prefer not to just throw up a bunch of videos in one big post. Since EQD probably receives several times as many submissions as we do, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and just assume that some get missed or forgotten in the avalanche of emails.
03-30-2013 04:49 PM
Camsy Offline
Mixed Media Creator

Tool:
So I wrote up a nice little paragraph and sent it to them, this is what I got back. It's far more than I've ever gotten from them before so I'm quite happy.

Quote:The animation on the face is just so... stiff ;/ It reminds me of the really old brony dance party stuff, thats probably why people in the submit box keep deleting it.

I can probably sneak it somewhere.

And we usually skip the first 30 seconds and watch the rest. They have it backwards

Well there you go, some insight. Tongue Thought I'm exactly sure what to do about the stiffness, maybe spend some time animating the hair as well I guess.

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2013 06:11 PM by Camsy.)
03-30-2013 06:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Wenger has admitted he does not view the Europa League as an avenue poxkelib 0 4 09-14-2017 03:37 PM
Last Post: poxkelib
  Officer daily Henryleee1810 0 4 09-10-2017 04:45 PM
Last Post: Henryleee1810
  Daily notes: Pitcher and hitter rankings for Friday wang1993 0 15 08-18-2017 03:50 AM
Last Post: wang1993
  Natural leather Bags A different View in Women's Style Handbags Norman1429 0 29 06-10-2017 03:35 PM
Last Post: Norman1429
  Natural leather Bags A fresh View in Female's Vogue Handbags Norman1429 0 27 05-17-2017 05:45 PM
Last Post: Norman1429
  Franke / Neapel Daily News) lixiaoyao1994 0 29 05-08-2017 11:48 PM
Last Post: lixiaoyao1994
  glow stay and view profits climb an enterprise kmiller145 0 42 02-07-2017 12:06 AM
Last Post: kmiller145
  Mexico boot View To help 2017 agarrett165 0 58 01-04-2017 11:29 PM
Last Post: agarrett165
  some really good health care may increase the shoes' daily life dewaynec15 0 34 01-01-2017 09:56 PM
Last Post: dewaynec15
  in addition to shoes daily life an elegance your alternative-medicine dewaynec15 0 37 12-31-2016 01:58 PM
Last Post: dewaynec15