Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.6 Average
Eq Daily's View on PMV's
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

Tool: After Effects
RE: Eq Daily's View on PMV's
Even though I have my doubts about EQD watching every single pmv submitted except the first 30 seconds, its nice to see that they looking at them.
03-30-2013 08:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mad_hatters_in_jeans Offline
Remember
Pinkie Pie

Tool: Sony Vegas
It speaks volumes about their submission process when you've got about 6+ posts here all coming up with varying headcanon for wtf EqD does with their videos.

I mean it's almost like discussing a mythological beast, does it hide in their email boxes quietly kicking out some works but letting others through?
Will it devour your work or will it praise it in a single post in it's lair?

One of the many reasons why this site is so good is you get some feedback in the little description above the post.

I honestly don't mind if people don't like my work but if they don't say anything then i can't figure out where i went wrong. I mean good feedback is worth it's weight in gold sometimes.

(03-30-2013 04:49 PM)LordPony Wrote:  I can speak from personal experience here on this site, that it can get pretty overwhelming when many submissions are received in a short amount of time. I think we've done a decent job with responding to each one, though it's sometimes hard to keep up in terms of posting since I prefer not to just throw up a bunch of videos in one big post. Since EQD probably receives several times as many submissions as we do, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and just assume that some get missed or forgotten in the avalanche of emails.

I imagine in a while the submissions will probably increase over time, when this site becomes more well known. Hold on to your hooves!
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2013 06:05 AM by Mad_hatters_in_jeans.)
03-31-2013 06:01 AM
Camsy Offline
Mixed Media Creator

Tool:
I completely agree, I think that EQD need to be far more transparent with what they do behind the scenes when it comes to submission. And if they don't have the numbers to properly review all content, get more staff! We're a very generous fandom and I'm sure there's plenty of bronies who would love the opportunity to help out.

Although, from what I've seen as far as music goes, they've got it pretty sorted, especially with this new site they've launched. Maybe now they'll focus more on the visual media?...

Check out all my content on Facebook.
03-31-2013 09:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Remember
Pinkie Pie

(03-31-2013 09:34 AM)Camsy Wrote:  I completely agree, I think that EQD need to be far more transparent with what they do behind the scenes when it comes to submission. And if they don't have the numbers to properly review all content, get more staff! We're a very generous fandom and I'm sure there's plenty of bronies who would love the opportunity to help out.

Although, from what I've seen as far as music goes, they've got it pretty sorted, especially with this new site they've launched. Maybe now they'll focus more on the visual media?...

Hmm that would be interesting to see. Though we'll have to see how the EqD music goes, i'm not too fussed about the big boy music makers they're well padded with subscribers but the smaller guys the less well known musicians, it'll come down to whether or not they get more views for their work.
03-31-2013 02:49 PM
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

It would be curious to see how exactly they go though everything. But I personally believe that they need a staff member or two that just process PMVs and that's it. That was you get someone who knows whats good and whats not, and isn't worried about going through submissions on other subjects. Then again I can't say much cause its not my site. Regardless they're doing a great job as it is, but there is room for improvement in terms of visual media stuffs.
03-31-2013 03:09 PM
The Talkie Toaster Offline
That not-so special somepony
Moderators

Great Scott! This thread is on fire!

So yeah, EqD is a mystery when it comes to pmv sorting in terms of quality control. The thing is, videos are hard to get right. Its easy to start in, but one of the hardest to master. You and a few others might think its fabulous, but that can't be said for the general public of bronies. So its tough.

All I can say is that practice makes perfect. It took me a whole year to get to where I am now, and even then I'm still learning new things, with a lot more to learn. There is nothing better than to read the comments afterward, good or bad.

As for sorting here, I watch the whole thing and look at its good points. Its usually always a battle between the good and bad, so if its a tie, I will look at the effort they put into it. I don't skip the first 30 seconds, I don't watch a few seconds and then render judgement. That way its fair for both quality/quantity judgements. I try my best to give feedback, but it isn't always easy with wmm videos or ones that have minute long cuts. I could give a long explanation on what exactly a 'Music Video' is, and what goes into one, but that might break the forum.
03-31-2013 09:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MrDeLoop Offline

Oh hey guys. New here, don't mind me dropping in on the conversation. Yeah - I wish EqD had a different selection process. What they've got going on at EQDMusic is interesting, just upvotes and downvotes with new content on the front page. Media as a whole is pretty subjective - a lot of factors can have an influence on if a certain video is "good" or "bad". I think if they did what JHaller and BronyVids are doing over at Everfree Radio (the newly opened PMV section) and gave each video a nice little layout with a description, it'd help a lot. I agree with what Dynamic Seagull said up there about staff - specific staff for specific posts could really help. At least then things wouldn't be skimmed over so fast with no rejection email. I'm pretty much parroting what you guys have already said, but you all have valid points!
03-31-2013 11:59 PM
Remember
Pinkie Pie

(03-31-2013 03:09 PM)Dynamic Seagull Wrote:  It would be curious to see how exactly they go though everything. But I personally believe that they need a staff member or two that just process PMVs and that's it.
I would agree with this suggestion. Alternatively they could have a slightly longer review process to give the people they have looking over the content a bit more time to come up with an "informed" decision

(03-31-2013 03:09 PM)Dynamic Seagull Wrote:  That was you get someone who knows whats good and whats not, and isn't worried about going through submissions on other subjects. Then again I can't say much cause its not my site. Regardless they're doing a great job as it is, but there is room for improvement in terms of visual media stuffs.
Well they are an incredibly popular site and maybe a year ago i would agree that we should be lenient on ol Seth, but it's been around for a few years now and he's got a decent sized crew working on it.
I'm sure he can take a few hints now and then.

(03-31-2013 09:15 PM)The Talkie Toaster Wrote:  Great Scott! This thread is on fire!

So yeah, EqD is a mystery when it comes to pmv sorting in terms of quality control. The thing is, videos are hard to get right. Its easy to start in, but one of the hardest to master. You and a few others might think its fabulous, but that can't be said for the general public of bronies. So its tough.
Idk i had a hellish start into video making. Fun but hellish
Windows live movie maker...shudders
(03-31-2013 09:15 PM)The Talkie Toaster Wrote:  All I can say is that practice makes perfect. It took me a whole year to get to where I am now, and even then I'm still learning new things, with a lot more to learn. There is nothing better than to read the comments afterward, good or bad.
I suppose this is what it really comes down to, how the viewer sees the video.
I know it can be hard taking a step back and viewing your own work, the only thing the viewer sees in the end result. Not all the crappy parts the vid maker had to cut out to get the final result.

(03-31-2013 09:15 PM)The Talkie Toaster Wrote:  As for sorting here, I watch the whole thing and look at its good points. Its usually always a battle between the good and bad, so if its a tie, I will look at the effort they put into it. I don't skip the first 30 seconds, I don't watch a few seconds and then render judgement. That way its fair for both quality/quantity judgements. I try my best to give feedback, but it isn't always easy with wmm videos or ones that have minute long cuts. I could give a long explanation on what exactly a 'Music Video' is, and what goes into one, but that might break the forum.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on what a Music Video is maybe in another thread?

(03-31-2013 11:59 PM)MrDeLoop Wrote:  Oh hey guys. New here, don't mind me dropping in on the conversation. Yeah - I wish EqD had a different selection process. What they've got going on at EQDMusic is interesting, just upvotes and downvotes with new content on the front page. Media as a whole is pretty subjective - a lot of factors can have an influence on if a certain video is "good" or "bad".
Well exactly, this old chestnut has been debated by artists and musicians for centuries maybe even millenia. There's many facets to making a piece of work now that it's hard to simply give a "good/bad" response to it.

It suffers from the "boo hooray" theory from philosophy in debate, which basically boils down to whoever can win an argument by shouting the loudest boo or hooray.

ie
Person 1:"I love the colour blue"
Person 2: "I hate the colour blue, Green is better"
Person 1: "nuh uh"
Person 2: "yah huh"
etc
You might see it on youtube now and again, two people have differing views on something and take leave of their senses and start shouting why their opinion is best.

This is what up/down voting can result in, and while it's an expedient way to find some good work. It also reduces any real feedback the artist gets to a sort of statistical analysis of likes/dislikes ratio. Which is absolutely no good at all.

(03-31-2013 11:59 PM)MrDeLoop Wrote:  I think if they did what JHaller and BronyVids are doing over at Everfree Radio (the newly opened PMV section) and gave each video a nice little layout with a description, it'd help a lot. I agree with what Dynamic Seagull said up there about staff - specific staff for specific posts could really help.
Yah agreed. More exposure for the little uns is always nice too. Just more "boots on the ground" as it were sifting through the stuff.

(03-31-2013 11:59 PM)MrDeLoop Wrote:  At least then things wouldn't be skimmed over so fast with no rejection email. I'm pretty much parroting what you guys have already said, but you all have valid points!
You'd need a heart of stone to send out rejection emails like. Or be an incredibly diplomatic and patient person.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 11:58 AM by Mad_hatters_in_jeans.)
04-02-2013 11:54 AM
MrDeLoop Offline

(04-02-2013 11:54 AM)Mad_hatters_in_jeans Wrote:  You'd need a heart of stone to send out rejection emails like. Or be an incredibly diplomatic and patient person.
True, it wouldn't be the most pleasant of experiences especially if you get people responding to the rejections in a hateful manner trying to stir up an argument. Regardless, I feel that if they wrote a tiny bit of feedback it'd be a better solution. And even if that takes up too much time, just say something like "We're sorry, your video didn't get selected. No worries though, keep trying!" to let people know. As a content maker, I'd rather that than sitting around wondering if my email got through. It's no big deal, just a minor nitpick. I do understand the amount of stuff they get day to day. It can't be easy sorting through it all.
04-02-2013 01:06 PM
Remember
Pinkie Pie

(04-02-2013 01:06 PM)MrDeLoop Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 11:54 AM)Mad_hatters_in_jeans Wrote:  You'd need a heart of stone to send out rejection emails like. Or be an incredibly diplomatic and patient person.
True, it wouldn't be the most pleasant of experiences especially if you get people responding to the rejections in a hateful manner trying to stir up an argument. Regardless, I feel that if they wrote a tiny bit of feedback it'd be a better solution. And even if that takes up too much time, just say something like "We're sorry, your video didn't get selected. No worries though, keep trying!" to let people know. As a content maker, I'd rather that than sitting around wondering if my email got through. It's no big deal, just a minor nitpick. I do understand the amount of stuff they get day to day. It can't be easy sorting through it all.
Well it would create a bit of hassle but if the rejection was worded well it could also encourage the person, that their work is being considered and that they're capable of improving.
And yeah EqD obviously gets a lot of stuff submitted. I have to wonder why they don't have different email addresses for different things. So whoever reviews the video or music has it sent straight to X email, that way there's less sifting and shifting for Seth to do
04-02-2013 03:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  glow stay and view profits climb an enterprise kmiller145 0 14 02-07-2017 12:06 AM
Last Post: kmiller145
  Mexico boot View To help 2017 agarrett165 0 22 01-04-2017 11:29 PM
Last Post: agarrett165
  You have to View it to trust this rsanchez658 0 18 12-29-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: rsanchez658
  enhance your online game and view jgable4217 0 20 12-29-2016 12:58 PM
Last Post: jgable4217
  quarterly report particular sports clothes and also shoes industry view for you to 20 gabrieleh586 0 23 12-26-2016 07:36 AM
Last Post: gabrieleh586
  sparkle remain and view profits increase an organization jgable4217 0 27 12-06-2016 10:04 AM
Last Post: jgable4217
  increase your recreation and view gerardoj763 0 18 11-30-2016 01:11 AM
Last Post: gerardoj763
  on your daily life health insurance billfold any self-improvement benedictd635 0 15 11-15-2016 10:37 PM
Last Post: benedictd635
  ideas to tie increase daily speak shoes wcook985 0 21 10-30-2016 10:23 PM
Last Post: wcook985
  Transform your Video game And view juneb002 0 36 10-14-2016 11:18 PM
Last Post: juneb002