Welcome guest! Please Login or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.6 Average
Eq Daily's View on PMV's
TheeLinker Offline

Tool: After Effects
RE: Eq Daily's View on PMV's
Rejection e-mails is the biggest thing that makes me think I could never been in a position to judge others' PMVs, or run a blog that puts them up, etc. etc. I just couldn't do that. But at the same time, it really needs to happen.

I actually did get a rejection notice once, with Return of Harmony -- Theatrical Trailer. They told me there were too many of those already (which was fair, I had it done before Lesson Zero came out). Then the Best Night Ever trailer went without a reply (but that one did totally suck), and I stopped submitting my trailers. Four trailers later, Crystal Empire ended up on there without my intervention. Go figure?

Big Grin ...I'm starting to realize I don't have much of a point. Anyway, that's my experience.
04-05-2013 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JHaller Offline

Tool:
I feel like writing an essay about this. Confused

EQD in my experience has always had a very questionable relationship with video makers. They do enjoy the high end content because obviously it gives them something cool to post which keeps people coming back to their blog, but they developed a habit soon after becoming the 'go to' place for content of rejecting the lower quality PMVs because they only wanted "The Best" content.

That started pissing off a lot of people. I remember a result of that being a post by Cereal Velocity where he was talking about simple PMVs and said: "Simple though they may be, they're still first class citizens here at EQD." which was said because of some of the angry emails they were getting from their selection/rejection process. That whole ordeal led them to start up the simple PMV posts as way to keep up with the sheer amount of content being sent in.

This on paper sounds like a good idea and you can't say that they at least didn't try to find a solution that pleased everyone, but what it also did was start labeling which content was seen as important and which wasn't. This type of separation directly impacted a lot of attention for videos and in some cases robbed videos of getting attention that they deserved. (Some videos such as The Stars Will Aid In Her Escape, which was thrown in to a regular post, were thankfully exceptions to this.) Once they started labeling these sections with tiers, people would skip out on the Simple PMV posts simply because being associated with that name meant that EQD considered it to a lesser quality video.

The other problem with it is that they simply just dump a ton of PMVs into the one post and leave it at that. You know that EQD isn't watching every single video sent to them all the way through and neither will anyone else when there's more than 5 in a post, much less 10! On the flip side, all of this treatment pushed people harder to make better videos just so they could get their content a better chance of being highlighted (This happened to me as well)

We're still in that system but things are changing for the slight better. The highest amount of traffic for EQD was in summer of 2012 around BronyCon and since then, a number of sources have cited the amount of people visiting to be steadily dropping. Right now the traffic is half what it used to be. They also don't get as much content sent to them, and they now have other websites doing dedicated PMV posting (such as this one and Everfree.net) to compete with. As a result, and I've noticed this a lot ever since I began PMV posting on Everfree.net, they're being less picky about content, and giving more single posts out to videos they wouldn't have given otherwise.

In the end, I think they do recognize the impact and appeal of PMVs but they have nobody who truly cares about them or understands how much work it takes to make them. As a result, their choice of what gets more attention can sometimes be very questionable and not make a whole lot of sense to the rest of us who know a lot more about them.

It'd be nice if they had at least one dedicated person to do PMV posting but the chances of that happening don't seem likely. It's disappointing because they have pre readers for fanfiction, and from what I've heard, a group of musicians who vote on the music side of things for what gets highlighted. Maybe they don't intend to treat PMVs the way they do, but not giving videos the same benefits and expertise that the other sections get still often leaves them treating videos like a 2nd class part of their site, despite their track record of having the potential to be just as popular if not more than music, fan fiction, and underwater pony basket weaving. (Among other things)
04-28-2013 06:52 PM
TerriccotaPie Offline
Brony
Fluttershy

Tool: Sony Vegas
Good job for the post. I like it and i agree!
04-28-2013 06:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MrDeLoop Offline

Definitely, you've spoken what we were all thinking. It just seemed like something's up with the way they treat video and you explained it perfectly. Hopefully things will improve in the future.
04-28-2013 06:59 PM
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

For the short time I've been part of the fandom, PMV makers just seem to be the red headed stepchild of the group as a whole. Kinda sad because tons of work go into these videos... as for what you said Mr.Jhaller, I completely agree:

It really pisses me off when EQD labels video posts as "SIMPLE PMVS" like that'll make you go watch them... : / and then post a whole bunch of them there's no way people are willing to look at all the content, especially is the videos aren't even embedded and the viewer is force to open a new tab and let it load to watch. I know I may sound picky but its all about attention span of the audience and frankly in this day and age many people have the attention span of Pinkie Pie and just aren't willing to do that. (Including myself). So next time a viewer sees that "Simple PMV" post they'll just skip. First class citizens my ass. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

I hate to rant like this but I have to let it out. AAAAAAnnnddd... like I've said, (many times) before.... not my site, so I can only complain so much. : |
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013 07:16 PM by Dynamic Seagull.)
04-28-2013 07:08 PM
The Talkie Toaster Offline
That not-so special somepony
Moderators

All of you bring valid points, I too do not like the generalization of 'simple pmvs'. Since this site is reasonably new, we can still make adjustments to how things are done and how to go about them. Should you have any ideas, suggestions or anything that could make it better, tell us!

When we sort videos, we say yes or no. We don't want to have layers of specialty to each video as we view them. That's just ridiculous, but as Jhaller said:

(04-28-2013 06:52 PM)JHaller Wrote:  In the end, I think they do recognize the impact and appeal of PMVs but they have nobody who truly cares about them or understands how much work it takes to make them.

You cant say one video is better then another when everything is taken into account. Effort in these videos is abundant, and most of the time the effort is unrewarded in recompense. So, since we are pmv'ers and realize how damn hard it is to make videos we can recognize and relate to people who send in theirs.

EqD, why you no listen? Sad R
04-28-2013 07:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jaref Offline
Crusader
Applejack

Glad to see I'm not the only one that's bothered by the "simple PMV" term. I mean, I can't complain, I think it's great that EqD are putting other people's work on their site for others to see, and the PMV compilations gives room for more videos (even though most people probably aren't interested in watching that many PMV's at once, but that can't be helped). I don't see why they can't just call it "PMV compilation"? That "simple" tag is so uneccessary.

Raaaaaaaawr! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013 08:31 PM by Jaref.)
04-28-2013 08:31 PM
EDWizard Offline
Applejack fanboy
Applejack

Good news though:

1. As you get more followers
2. As you become more involved in the PMV community, such as on here, and get to know others

EQD features matter far less. When I had 10 subscribers, 100% of my views came from EQD. Now, I get maybe 20% from there, so you can begin to forget about where they post your videos, even if they don't post them at all.

Also, when I see a PMV that I think had a lot of effort put into it, and may or may not have made it to EQD, I do my best to promote it, and I know that I have many friends who do the same for me. That's where being involved in places like this comes in. This community has so much potential to be supportive of everyone, which is why I love sites that run with the idea, such as here and Everfree PMV.

I have no idea what point I'm trying to make, except that PMVs take a ton of effort to make no matter the content, and everything is deserving of recognition. Also, don't be too harsh on EQD, they do a great job in many other areas, just not this one.
04-28-2013 10:01 PM
TheeLinker Offline

(04-28-2013 06:52 PM)JHaller Wrote:  Insert excellent essay.

And then there's the videos getting lost and misplaced even when they do respond.* I had one video that got lost until I reminded them; then, when another one (Pinkie Sparrow) took a while to go up, I thought I should shoot off a reminder just in case... and it went up twice. Added right into the queue again, I guess. (Singling it out in the public eye managed to get it a spot in the Top Ten of the Month for November 2011, though, so, uh... score? Rolleyes )

I always assumed that it was messy because of their incredible volume of submissions, and every submission for every section gets judged the same way; but I'm thinking now, hey, if music and fanfics get their own special editors and reviewers, they probably wouldn't get scrambled up the same way. So that's another little way PMVers can get left behind a bit.

That said, the fact he manages to keep as much as he does straight is kind of amazing. There's a lot of stuff to do on that blog.

*Man, remember when they lost your Transformers 3 trailer PMV and they put mine up first, despite being like three days later? Ahh, the old days... Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2013 10:13 PM by TheeLinker.)
04-28-2013 10:12 PM
Mad_hatters_in_jeans Offline
Remember
Pinkie Pie

(04-28-2013 06:52 PM)JHaller Wrote:  This on paper sounds like a good idea and you can't say that they at least didn't try to find a solution that pleased everyone, but what it also did was start labeling which content was seen as important and which wasn't. This type of separation directly impacted a lot of attention for videos and in some cases robbed videos of getting attention that they deserved. (Some videos such as The Stars Will Aid In Her Escape, which was thrown in to a regular post, were thankfully exceptions to this.) Once they started labeling these sections with tiers, people would skip out on the Simple PMV posts simply because being associated with that name meant that EQD considered it to a lesser quality video.
Aye the simple pmv label isn't particularly helpful

(04-28-2013 06:52 PM)JHaller Wrote:  The other problem with it is that they simply just dump a ton of PMVs into the one post and leave it at that. You know that EQD isn't watching every single video sent to them all the way through and neither will anyone else when there's more than 5 in a post, much less 10! On the flip side, all of this treatment pushed people harder to make better videos just so they could get their content a better chance of being highlighted (This happened to me as well)
Yeah there's an inverse relationship between viewer attention span and time required of them. More time and PMVs in one go will make it seem like a bit of a mountain to climb

(04-28-2013 06:52 PM)JHaller Wrote:  In the end, I think they do recognize the impact and appeal of PMVs but they have nobody who truly cares about them or understands how much work it takes to make them. As a result, their choice of what gets more attention can sometimes be very questionable and not make a whole lot of sense to the rest of us who know a lot more about them.
True true

However because they don't have any real experts on pmvs you can get a rough idea of some of the basic principles of making attractive content for the viewer.
Little tricks like making the intro as awesome as possible to hook the viewer in, making relatively short videos is a safer investment of time than the longer ones.

(04-28-2013 06:52 PM)JHaller Wrote:  It'd be nice if they had at least one dedicated person to do PMV posting but the chances of that happening don't seem likely. It's disappointing because they have pre readers for fanfiction, and from what I've heard, a group of musicians who vote on the music side of things for what gets highlighted. Maybe they don't intend to treat PMVs the way they do, but not giving videos the same benefits and expertise that the other sections get still often leaves them treating videos like a 2nd class part of their site, despite their track record of having the potential to be just as popular if not more than music, fan fiction, and underwater pony basket weaving. (Among other things)
Mmm pmvs are sort of the gateway between non-pony and pony content, attracting people to the show/community far more effectively than fics/artwork or music because they use something the viewer may have heard before and add some neat visuals to it.

(04-28-2013 10:01 PM)EDWizard Wrote:  Good news though:

1. As you get more followers
2. As you become more involved in the PMV community, such as on here, and get to know others

EQD features matter far less. When I had 10 subscribers, 100% of my views came from EQD. Now, I get maybe 20% from there, so you can begin to forget about where they post your videos, even if they don't post them at all.
This is encouraging.

(04-28-2013 10:01 PM)EDWizard Wrote:  Also, when I see a PMV that I think had a lot of effort put into it, and may or may not have made it to EQD, I do my best to promote it, and I know that I have many friends who do the same for me. That's where being involved in places like this comes in. This community has so much potential to be supportive of everyone, which is why I love sites that run with the idea, such as here and Everfree PMV.
and we love you too.

(04-28-2013 10:01 PM)EDWizard Wrote:  I have no idea what point I'm trying to make, except that PMVs take a ton of effort to make no matter the content, and everything is deserving of recognition. Also, don't be too harsh on EQD, they do a great job in many other areas, just not this one.
It's true that blog has a ton of other things to juggle, it's quite a challenge to filter content fairly for a site with that much attention. But it lives or dies on the content and news it receives.

I'd add to your points that no pmv editors can make money from their work.
Musicians can sell their tracks, artists can gain enough fame to do commissions. PMV makers just do it for fun or possibly boredom i can never tell sometimes.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013 10:59 AM by Mad_hatters_in_jeans.)
04-29-2013 10:55 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  the main areas of finn ease and comfort shoes in terms of daily life tracyl327 0 14 10-04-2017 12:30 AM
Last Post: tracyl327
  Wenger has admitted he does not view the Europa League as an avenue poxkelib 0 15 09-14-2017 03:37 PM
Last Post: poxkelib
  Officer daily Henryleee1810 0 17 09-10-2017 04:45 PM
Last Post: Henryleee1810
  Daily notes: Pitcher and hitter rankings for Friday wang1993 0 24 08-18-2017 03:50 AM
Last Post: wang1993
  Natural leather Bags A different View in Women's Style Handbags Norman1429 0 41 06-10-2017 03:35 PM
Last Post: Norman1429
  Natural leather Bags A fresh View in Female's Vogue Handbags Norman1429 0 38 05-17-2017 05:45 PM
Last Post: Norman1429
  Franke / Neapel Daily News) lixiaoyao1994 0 38 05-08-2017 11:48 PM
Last Post: lixiaoyao1994
  glow stay and view profits climb an enterprise kmiller145 0 49 02-07-2017 12:06 AM
Last Post: kmiller145
  Mexico boot View To help 2017 agarrett165 0 67 01-04-2017 11:29 PM
Last Post: agarrett165
  some really good health care may increase the shoes' daily life dewaynec15 0 47 01-01-2017 09:56 PM
Last Post: dewaynec15