Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Brony tunes
Mad_hatters_in_jeans Offline
Remember
Pinkie Pie

Tool: Sony Vegas
Brony tunes
I'm curious if anyone here has done a PMV of a brony tune? If you have do you change how you make the PMV?

For instance perhaps your interpretation of a song is wildly different from the song makers idea of it (Like setting, characters and emotional overtones).
Is that even an issue? Does it matter?

Any problems or issues that arise as a result?
04-12-2013 09:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

Tool: After Effects
RE: Brony tunes
My first and 4th PMVs were done to songs by the brony artist zahqo. Both times the guy that sung in the songs, (haymaker) was really happy with my work... and at least for my first one said I got it pretty close to what he was imagining when he wrote the lyrics. I feel that there really isn't anything that different. I just kinda approached it the same way I did for other PMVs, (back when I used Vegas and I'm a noob lord so don't take my word) but I wouldn't worry about the artist not liking it.

If there's anything I've seen, the artist of the song is more or less honored that someone would make a PMV to thier work. I mean you are spending your time, for free, just to make a video that is centered around their song. Zahqo even put a link on his videos to my PMV (I was like, wat .__. I suck) but looking at it from an out side perspective, its a win-win relationship between the PMV maker and the artist in this case. Both do what the like and both help get each other a wider audience. And you know if the artist doesn't like it, there you go. Its impossible to please everyone so why dwell on it...

This has at least been my expience, which is rather small... so I'm also curious to see some of the more grizzled vets. responses...Wink
04-12-2013 10:03 PM
EDWizard Offline
Applejack fanboy
Applejack

When I first started I made a couple of PMVs of Aviators songs. He was pretty thrilled and said he liked them a lot, even though they were some of my worst PMVs ( I even went so far as to unlist one of them), but I think its a common theme that people just really like seeing others enjoying their music enough to make videos of it. I've found that more musicians than you think appreciate the work put into a PMV, and the fact that you probably spent more time making the video than they did making the song.

I actually find it funny, a lot of descriptions from some of the most popular brony musicians will say things like, " Wow, this was my most difficult song yet, it took me 15 hours to make" , considering it usually takes me around 40 hours to make a full pmv xD.

In the last year or so though, I've been making music with less and less brony songs. There are so many great songs, but they tend to focus on one specific pony or situation. Since I've gotten used to creating custom scenes and trying to make my videos as thematic as possible, I find the focus of the song to cripple my creativity to the point where I can't create my own story, or force me to use specific elements to stay with a theme. Non brony music seems to be more ambiguous in its meaning and allows a wider range of interpretations.

Even as I say that though, I'm working on a PMV with brony music. It doesn't have many words, which allows me to choose my own thematic style in the same way that I did with my previous PMVs.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wondered at a certain point during the editing process, "I wonder if I should pick a clip that matches the lyrics, one that lip syncs well, or one that stays with a general theme with less concern for the specific part of the song?" Since I suck at making the correct decision in these situations, I tend to avoid them altogether.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 10:43 PM by EDWizard.)
04-12-2013 10:41 PM
Remember
Pinkie Pie

(04-12-2013 10:03 PM)Dynamic Seagull Wrote:  My first and 4th PMVs were done to songs by the brony artist zahqo. Both times the guy that sung in the songs, (haymaker) was really happy with my work... and at least for my first one said I got it pretty close to what he was imagining when he wrote the lyrics. I feel that there really isn't anything that different. I just kinda approached it the same way I did for other PMVs, (back when I used Vegas and I'm a noob lord so don't take my word) but I wouldn't worry about the artist not liking it.
I suppose that's a good point, maybe i should try making music instead.

(04-12-2013 10:03 PM)Dynamic Seagull Wrote:  If there's anything I've seen, the artist of the song is more or less honored that someone would make a PMV to thier work. I mean you are spending your time, for free, just to make a video that is centered around their song. Zahqo even put a link on his videos to my PMV (I was like, wat .__. I suck) but looking at it from an out side perspective, its a win-win relationship between the PMV maker and the artist in this case.
I dunno i thought that PMV was pretty neat especially for a first proper one at that.
(04-12-2013 10:03 PM)Dynamic Seagull Wrote:  Both do what the like and both help get each other a wider audience. And you know if the artist doesn't like it, there you go. Its impossible to please everyone so why dwell on it...
I doubt any artist would go as far as to tell someone to stop making pmvs of their work. Big Grin But i see your point there's a certain mutual bonus to both artist and PMV maker.
(04-12-2013 10:03 PM)Dynamic Seagull Wrote:  This has at least been my expience, which is rather small... so I'm also curious to see some of the more grizzled vets. responses...Wink
I bet we got a ton of awesome vets with really healthy pets too

(04-12-2013 10:41 PM)EDWizard Wrote:  When I first started I made a couple of PMVs of Aviators songs. He was pretty thrilled and said he liked them a lot, even though they were some of my worst PMVs ( I even went so far as to unlist one of them), but I think its a common theme that people just really like seeing others enjoying their music enough to make videos of it. I've found that more musicians than you think appreciate the work put into a PMV, and the fact that you probably spent more time making the video than they did making the song.
Well there's that yes. You can't get away with minimal work in a PMV because it seems to show more often than not. Unless it's just something off the wall and totally random.
But hey that's random.

(04-12-2013 10:41 PM)EDWizard Wrote:  I actually find it funny, a lot of descriptions from some of the most popular brony musicians will say things like, " Wow, this was my most difficult song yet, it took me 15 hours to make" , considering it usually takes me around 40 hours to make a full pmv xD.
Well i think there's an analogy i could use for that.
The musician is like an architect designing a building, filling it with whatever goodness or strange vibes they want. But ultimately it's lacking in any visual representation.
So the PMV maker comes along and makes a building based on the designs of the architect, but inevitibly the builder has to make allowances or extensions of the design for practical or artistic purposes. Now you could say the builder is the key component of the construction but without the architect coming up with the original idea the builder would be a bit stuck.
And without the building there afterward people are left to imagine what the building might have been like. To some extent it's more liberating not having a video in the first place for a song.
I've found for official videos of some songs to completely be at odds with how i imagined the song and it just makes me crai everytim.
Though with Brony music i think it's a bit of a different scenario.

(04-12-2013 10:41 PM)EDWizard Wrote:  In the last year or so though, I've been making music with less and less brony songs. There are so many great songs, but they tend to focus on one specific pony or situation. Since I've gotten used to creating custom scenes and trying to make my videos as thematic as possible, I find the focus of the song to cripple my creativity to the point where I can't create my own story, or force me to use specific elements to stay with a theme. Non brony music seems to be more ambiguous in its meaning and allows a wider range of interpretations.
Yeah that's the problem i'm sort of coming up against. Although in some ways it can be helpful having that anchor there to stop me getting crazy half baked ideas in.

(04-12-2013 10:41 PM)EDWizard Wrote:  Even as I say that though, I'm working on a PMV with brony music. It doesn't have many words, which allows me to choose my own thematic style in the same way that I did with my previous PMVs.
I've considered doing instrumental tunes, but i'd be like
"welp time to do the lip sync"
"oh there isn't any words"
"well wtf do i put here?"

Though the extra free reign on ideas would be a nice change i suppose
(04-12-2013 10:41 PM)EDWizard Wrote:  I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wondered at a certain point during the editing process, "I wonder if I should pick a clip that matches the lyrics, one that lip syncs well, or one that stays with a general theme with less concern for the specific part of the song?" Since I suck at making the correct decision in these situations, I tend to avoid them altogether.
That's a tough call. Very circumstantial really.

and good grief if i spent as much time making pmvs as i did talking about them.
Sorry about that wall of text.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 11:08 PM by Mad_hatters_in_jeans.)
04-12-2013 10:54 PM
TheeLinker Offline

I only did one PMV using a brony tune -- WoodenToaster's Beyond Her Garden -- and out of my eight Theatrical Trailers, it ended up being one of the worst two by a fairly significant margin (I mean, judging from the likes and views, anyway). And I never heard anything from WoodenToaster on it (of course, being as big as he is, I imagine that he gets enough responses to his work -- from PMVs to remixes -- that it would get overwhelming to respond to each one).

So, you know. That didn't go terribly well. Confused
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2013 12:47 AM by TheeLinker.)
04-13-2013 12:41 AM
Remember
Pinkie Pie

(04-13-2013 12:41 AM)TheeLinker Wrote:  I only did one PMV using a brony tune -- WoodenToaster's Beyond Her Garden -- and out of my eight Theatrical Trailers, it ended up being one of the worst two by a fairly significant margin (I mean, judging from the likes and views, anyway). And I never heard anything from WoodenToaster on it (of course, being as big as he is, I imagine that he gets enough responses to his work -- from PMVs to remixes -- that it would get overwhelming to respond to each one).

So, you know. That didn't go terribly well. Confused

Ah well they can't all be winners.
04-13-2013 01:40 PM
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

(04-12-2013 10:41 PM)EDWizard Wrote:  I actually find it funny, a lot of descriptions from some of the most popular brony musicians will say things like, " Wow, this was my most difficult song yet, it took me 15 hours to make" , considering it usually takes me around 40 hours to make a full pmv xD.
Huh, thats interesting... I had always thought it took way longer to make a song that a video... guess not. Tongue
04-13-2013 03:54 PM
EDWizard Offline
Applejack fanboy
Applejack

(04-13-2013 03:54 PM)Dynamic Seagull Wrote:  Huh, thats interesting... I had always thought it took way longer to make a song that a video... guess not. Tongue

I'm sure it can take longer to make a song. People who are at the top and very professional tend to spend tons of time mixing and mastering, and it may very well take a lot of time. For many of the songs you see by up and coming / non-professional musicians though, it doesn't take as long as you would think.

Not to say that it doesn't take any skill or effort, because it does take a ton, it just goes faster for many people.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2013 10:12 PM by EDWizard.)
04-13-2013 10:09 PM
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

Huh. Just goes to show how much I know about making music, at least popish music.
04-13-2013 11:05 PM
inayamike Offline

Tool:
What is he strangest PMV or any pony related vid you have ever seen?
I guess its cupcakes. And not only HD! Tiarawhy's cupcakes video is also weird as hell?

Bunny
01-21-2015 02:46 AM