Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anyone Running AE on a Secondary Hardrive
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

Tool: After Effects
Anyone Running AE on a Secondary Hardrive
I know this is one hay of a long shot but is anyone here running their programs on a secondary hardrive? For example I have my windows system on a solid state and then everything else on a regular hdd. And for some reason I'm getting this funky error when ever I try to add a gradient overlay and according to the internet its because my temp files need to be on my C: drive. I'm just wondering if anyone here is running a similar set up I am and if they managed to figure out whats wrong before I go around editing a bunch of folder shortcuts and what not.
04-14-2013 01:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Talkie Toaster Offline
That not-so special somepony
Moderators

RE: Anyone Running AE on a Secondary Hardrive
That is a mighty strange problem. However, my set up is quite the opposite. I have AE installed on C: drive, because with its relatively small size its not going to cause much loading issues. Then, I have footage on D: drive, AE temp and the page file on E: drive and then visual tools (textures, renders) on F: drive. I am not fortunate enough to have a solid state, so I have three additional drives to compensate loading times.

Changing the temp location should yield no problems, but you will have to build a new database. And it is highly recommend to have AE's temp files location on another drive, for two reasons. First, it will increase loading times for both RAM and processing. Next, it should reduce strain and corruption on the the main drive.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2013 08:03 PM by The Talkie Toaster.)
04-14-2013 08:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

And you can use a gradient over lay and other layer options without an error?! I know that there is a setting where you can set where your cache is located which I changed that accordingly. Are you using symbolic links in you main drive to direct programs that look in the C: to the correct location. I'm just really stumped on why its just these layer options and nothing else... (at least nothing that I have used). Well I'm glad to see that its working for someone. Thanks for the input.
04-14-2013 09:21 PM
The Talkie Toaster Offline
That not-so special somepony
Moderators

I am able to use all layer options without it failing, and I can hardly think that a separate drive for the temp files causes such an issue. Try re-installing AE, or if that doesn't work try another drive for the temp location. And more, to double check.
04-14-2013 09:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

I've already re installed with no luck, so I'll probably play around with the temp location when ever I get enough time... Thanks again for the help!
04-14-2013 10:34 PM
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

Yes! I fixed it. For anybody that cares I ended up having to create this dummy folder on my C:\ for temp. The one useful forum is linked below.... Phew, that was really bugging me.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4592865
05-04-2013 09:13 AM
Rose123 Offline

Tool:
Changing the temp location should yield no problems, but you will have to build a new database. And it is highly recommend to have AE's temp files location on another drive, for two reasons. First, it will increase loading times for both RAM and processing. Next, it should reduce strain and corruption on the the main drive.

Unlock the key of your success by NS0-145 testking braindump and testking.By using our latest wikipedia
11-12-2014 02:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Write argumentative essay about chronic kidney disease secondary to hypertension for ungihkoco 0 21 05-09-2016 11:26 PM
Last Post: ungihkoco
  Secondary school essay about myself aqketgimu 0 15 04-27-2016 12:52 AM
Last Post: aqketgimu