Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any other art students here?
Poki_ Offline
Enslaved in School
Twilight Sparkle

Tool: After Effects
9Octavia Any other art students here?
I'm hoping to start up a little conversation with any other art students/people who have had experience with any sort of art education. Since that time is coming around, I've been asking around for advice when it comes to getting into a digital art-related field (perhaps design or animation fields) and I'd love to hear what people here have to say. As a starting question, do you think it's better to just focus on an art school or go for arts combined with liberal arts?
07-29-2014 09:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

RE: Any other art students here?
You're in the States right? So your just starting to apply for college (University for Europeans)? If so I guess I could offer some advice...
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2014 03:28 PM by Dynamic Seagull.)
07-30-2014 03:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Poki_ Offline
Enslaved in School
Twilight Sparkle

Yep, U.S. For the record, I'm not very concerned about getting into a school (my grades/test scores are fine), just about what path to take as far as digital arts goes.
07-30-2014 04:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Izeer Offline
Rainbow Dash

I had 4 years of high school as a graphic design student. Gotta say, I learned alot, it overall got me into this stuff. But graphic design was not enough for me, not to mention im not talented in drawing etc. So after all, when the school was over, I chosen the video making path. If you got high schools that teach you animations and stuff, then you're lucky, we don't have it here in my country.
For your question - the more you know and can do, the more will you make money overall.
07-30-2014 04:57 PM
Dynamic Seagull Offline
General Affairs Manager
Moderators

(07-30-2014 04:35 PM)Poki_ Wrote:  Yep, U.S. For the record, I'm not very concerned about getting into a school (my grades/test scores are fine), just about what path to take as far as digital arts goes.

Well, I don't know much about specifics or digital arts etc... and I'm only going into my second year at a University and I'm a Mechanical Engineer (not exactly art related) so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I'll just tell you what you probably already know but the common theme in college is make your self as marketable as possible and as experienced as possible. The more shit you have on your resume the better.

I have no idea how the art majors work but make sure you can do multiple things. That is make sure you have something that can get ya a job and of course that you like doing : P.

My personal choice would be to go into the area of computer modeling or website/ program gui designing. Since pretty much everything is now designed in CAD first then produced I would think the area of computer modeling is only gonna grow. But I really don't know, I could be completely fucking wrong tbh.

I actually went to this one club about graphics designing and stuff in the beginning of the year (had to stop going because of work load) and it was a bunch of people that knew 3d designing on like Maya, 3ds max, etc. Pretty cool stuff not gonna lie. If you end up attending a university for 3d modeling check and see if the university offers student version of programs. Autodesk allowed all students at my University to use their software for two years. Or you could just be a pirate, but why pirate when you get full updated versions for free. Amirite???

As for website and gui design I'm just a programming nerd that thinks that'd be fun.

With majoring VFX I really don't know much about that industry other than that Hollywood has been treating the VFX companies like a piece of shit. The industry is broken and needs a little fixing. VFX is definitely a major that you will need to be extremely well rounded on your programs and your effects.

Not sure if this helped or made it worse. Also remember that your path is not set in stone. If you get bad vibes from one major, switch. A lot of people seem to forget that : ) Good luck, if you have any other questions about college stuff feel free to ask.

TL : DR Make sure you can do a bunch of stuff.
07-30-2014 09:42 PM
redTygr Offline
/)
Fluttershy

Following up with what Dynamic Seagull said, hollywood VFX is honestly scary. The Life of Pi won best visual effects, but only shortly after the group that did the VFX went bankrupt. Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lcB9u-9mVE it's a documentary on that group.
08-01-2014 03:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Addresses used by students attending The Courtauld Institute of Art in ezatonqov 0 31 09-20-2016 10:09 PM
Last Post: ezatonqov
  Writing Services For Students ezatonqov 0 20 09-19-2016 09:20 PM
Last Post: ezatonqov
  Founded by three university students has become one of apagkumti 0 20 06-08-2016 07:04 AM
Last Post: apagkumti
  Writing Sites For College Students apagkumti 0 34 05-30-2016 08:18 PM
Last Post: apagkumti